Thursday, January 30, 2014

Week 1

Reading Bob Herbert’s editorial “A New Civil Rights Movement” was empowering for me. He touched base on the contemporary issues that are prevalent in the African-American community, and although I may not be of African descent, most of the issues he discussed are also seen in my Hispanic community so I was able to really connect with his opinions. Children born out of wedlock, single-parent households, the cycle of poverty, and the absence of fathers have caused behavioral issues as well for Latinos, especially where I am from, so I was in total agreement with his idea of needing a new Civil Rights Movement. A new Civil Rights movement will inspire not only the African-American community, but the Latino community as well, as it did in the past with the Chicano Movement. The exceptional hard work of the Civil Rights activists helped push my ancestors to some of the rights Hispanics now have. A modern Civil Rights Movement will attract oppressed minorities, and together we can push for the social justice we deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment